Manual ice crushers are simple-to-use, cost-efficient, and portable units for making ice needed for the preparation of cocktails and garnishing food. Some models come with an integrated handle. Turning the handle clockwise produces ice. Some models are hand-cranked and others come in the form of a mallet.
It is challenging to find the best manual ice crusher among so many brands. There is Nuvantee, VICTORIO, Viski, Westmark, Winco, WineNeeds, and others. Each brand has advantages and disadvantages that need to be considered.
To find the best manual ice crusher, factors such as type, construction, blades, switch, and warranty should be taken into account. This manual ice crusher buying guide includes all these factors.
The best manual ice crushers are listed below:
- Rabbit Retro Manual Ice Crusher
- VICTORIO VKP1126 Portable Hand Crank Ice Crusher
- Viski 4371 Professional Lewis Bag and Mallet and Bartender Kit
- Westmark Germany Manual Ice Crusher
- Winco ICP-9 Manual Portable Ice Crusher
- Kitchen Rite Manual Ice Crusher
Best Manual Ice Crushers Comparison Chart
Rabbit Retro Manual Ice Crusher
|View On Amazon|
VICTORIO VKP1126 Portable Hand Crank Ice Crusher
|View On Amazon|
Viski 4371 Professional Lewis Bag and Mallet and Bartender Kit
|View On Amazon|
Westmark Germany Manual Ice Crusher
|View On Amazon|
Winco ICP-9 Manual Portable Ice Crusher
|View On Amazon|
Kitchen Rite Manual Ice Crusher
|View On Amazon|
Best Manual Ice Crushers Reviews (Updated List)
1. Rabbit Retro Manual Ice Crusher
Rabbit Retro is a brand behind many thoughtfully designed and manufactured household items. This manual ice crusher features a 1950’s look. It can produce coarse and finely crushed ice used for drinks or food displays.
The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher is hand-operated and easy to use. It weighs 3lbs only and is very compact and portable. The bowl color is optional – clear or red.
The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher is priced at around $25 to $43.
Rabbit Retro provides a lifetime warranty on all of the moving parts of this manual ice crusher.
The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher has a plastic base, while the heavy-duty all-metal top is polished with chrome and resistant to rust. The blades are made of stainless steel and are extremely sharp.
The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher should be cleaned after every use. All of the parts can be cleaned using warm, soapy water and a cloth.
The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher can crush around ¼ of ice in several minutes. The bowl can be used as an ice bucket.
The advantages of Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher are as follows:
- The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher can easily crush standard to larger ice cubes.
- The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher can crush ice of different textures – coarse to fine.
- The all-metal top makes the Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher more stable.
The disadvantages of Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher are as follows:
- The Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher is the most expensive unit in the manual ice crusher category.
- The crank handle is a bit flimsy and the Rabbit Retro manual ice crusher should be held tight while crushing ice.
2. VICTORIO VKP1126 Portable Hand Crank Ice Crusher
The VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher produces ice ideal for drinks, cocktails, and platters. It is mostly used in homes, bars, and RVs. Its compact size makes it easy to use, store, and move around.
The VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher comes with a sturdy suction base that prevents it from moving while crushing the ice. Cranking the handle even when crushing larger chunks of ice is hassle-free. However, it is advisable to use this unit mostly for crushing standard-size ice cubes.
The VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher is priced at around $50.
The VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher is backed up with a generous 5-year warranty.
The VICTORIO VKP1126 is equipped with a chrome-plated steel handle and sharp stainless steel blades. The rest of the unit is made of plastic.
The VICTORIO VKP1126 is easy to clean with soap and water, then dried with a soft cloth.
The VICTORIO VKP1126 has an average capacity of producing 4 cups of crushed ice per day.
The advantages of VICTORIO VKP1126 are as follows:
- The VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher is extremely lightweight, compact, and portable.
- Although the VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher is mostly made of plastic, it is still very sturdy and durable.
- The cranking mechanism of the VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher is easy to operate.
The disadvantages of VICTORIO VKP1126 are as follows:
- If the VICTORIO VKP1126 manual ice crusher is not well dried after cleaning, the handle will start showing rust.
Read More: VICTORIO VKP1126
3. Viski 4371 Professional Lewis Bag and Mallet and Bartender Kit
The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit consists of a Lewis bag and a mallet. This ice crushing kit allows crushing ice to different preferences and for different drinks – daiquiris, mint juleps, and more.
The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit boasts an ergonomic design that ensures crushing ice doesn’t put pressure on the wrist. Once a new batch of crushed ice is made, the Lewis bag dries very quickly and can be reused shortly for another round. This also results in producing dryer ice.
The price of Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit is around $25.
The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit comes with no warranty but it is proven to be extremely durable. With no pieces to break, it could last for a lifetime.
The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit includes a lightweight beechwood mallet that can easily crush ice. The canvas bag is also made of natural material and has a convenient flap closure.
The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit needs no special cleaning. The bag can be rinsed with clear water every few months or washed in the washing machine.
The Lewis bag included in this Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit has ½ to 1lbs capacity.
The advantages of Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit are as follows:
- The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit is made of natural materials – beechwood and canvas that are both durable and safe for use.
- The canvas bag included in the Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit absorbs water so the ice is crispier and dier.
- The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit is almost maintenance-free.
The disadvantages of Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit are as follows:
- The Viski 4371 manual ice crusher kit’s canvas bag may tear if it is constantly filled with too much ice.
4. Westmark Germany Manual Ice Crusher
Westmark is a popular brand from Germany that sells kitchenware, barware, and other home household items. The Westmark manual ice crusher is a high-quality unit that can produce ice for mixed drinks and cocktails.
The Westmark manual ice crusher has an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to use and to crush ice. It can quickly deliver new small portions of small ice.
The price of Westmark manual ice crusher is around $22.
Westmark provides a 5-year warranty on this manual ice crusher while it is proven to last for a lifetime.
The Westmark manual ice crusher’s base and handle are both made of heavy cast aluminum that is resistant to rust and very durable.
The Westmark manual ice crusher should be occasionally washed with clear water and dried with a cloth. It can be washed in the dishwasher as well.
The Westmark manual ice crusher is designed to produce small amounts of ice. It can crush 2 ice cubes at once.
The advantages of Westmark manual ice crusher are as follows:
- The Westmark manual ice crusher is lightweight and easy to crush the ice with.
- The durable and sturdy, the Westmark manual ice crusher practically indestructible heavy cast aluminum construction.
- The Westmark manual ice crusher is dishwasher-safe.
The disadvantages of Westmark manual ice crusher are as follows:
- It can’t produce larger amounts of ice.
5. Winco ICP-9 Manual Portable Ice Crusher
Winco is a US kitchenware brand selling fry and cake pans, rice and soup warmers, and ice crushers. This Winco manual ice crusher works best for homes, bars, and drink stations. The ice it produces can also be used for shellfish.
The Winco manual ice crusher is a lightweight and portable unit that produces coarse or fine ice. It is equipped with an easy-to-operate crank handle. The ice crushing mechanism can easily crack standard to large ice cubes in seconds.
The price of Winco manual ice crusher is around $21.
Winco provides a 1-year warranty on this manual ice crusher.
The Winco manual ice crusher’s body is made of plastic. The blades are made of stainless steel and the handle is made of durable metal.
The Winco manual ice crusher is easy to clean. The stainless steel blades are rust-resistant and can be washed with pure water. The handle should be properly dried when cleaning the unit.
The Winco manual ice crusher can ideally produce up to 4lbs of ice in 24 hours.
The advantages of Winco manual ice crusher are as follows:
- The lightweight and compact construction of the Winco manual ice crusher machine make it portable and easy to move and store.
- The stainless steel blades of the the Winco manual ice crusher easily cut through ice cubes.
- The Winco manual ice crusher is hand-crank operated and can produce as much ice as needed.
The disadvantages of Winco manual ice crusher are as follows:
- The plastic body of the Winco manual ice crusher can become brittle after some time of use.
6. Kitchen Rite Manual Ice Crusher
The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher is an easy-turn unit that produces ice cubes into coarse to fine ice needed for refreshing drinks and desserts. As it is lightweight and portable, it can be used at home or for tailgating, boating, and camping.
The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher has a non-slip base that gives it stability while the crank is operated. As the ice gets crushed, it gets stored in a transparent bowl. This bowl can be used as an ice bucket or for storing perishable foods.
The price of Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher is around 25$.
The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher is backed up with a 1-year warranty.
The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher has BPA-free plastic construction. The blades are made of high-quality stainless steel that provides the utmost precision and easily cuts through ice cubes. The plastic crank is located on the side and it can be removed.
The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher should be washed with warm water and soap and dried before the next use.
The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher can produce 2.2lbs of ice in one shot.
The advantages of The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher are as follows:
- Because of its weight and compact size, the Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher can be used anywhere.
- The transparent bowl makes it easy to check the level of ice in the Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher.
- The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher’ bowl has a large capacity compared to other manual ice crushers and can be used to store ice.
The disadvantages of The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher are as follows:
- The Kitchen Rite manual ice crusher’s bowl may crack if dropped to the floor.
What Is a Manual Ice Crusher?
A manual ice crusher is a useful tool for making fine to coarse-textured ice for different purposes such as cocktail making and garnishing seafood. A manual ice crusher is simple to use and requires little to no effort to make ice while it can be used at all times and in all conditions since it doesn’t require electricity to be operated. Manual ice crushers are used both in commercial and household settings, although, unlike the best industrial ice makers, they have limited ice making capacity.
Advantages of Manual Ice Crushers
The main benefits of manual ice crushers include becoming a skilled cocktail mater, simplicity of use, serving varieties, cost-effectiveness, and portability, all of which are explained in detail down below.
1. Becoming a Skilled Cocktail Master
Manual ice crushers allow experimenting with different ice making techniques, which can help the user become a skilled cocktail master.
2. Simplicity Of Use
To make ice, the manual ice crusher should be filled with the desired amount of ice and the crank should be moved, which makes them simple to use. Manual ice crushers that come with a mallet require filling the ice bag with ice and crushing it with a mallet.
3. Serving Varieties
Manual ice crushers provide control over the desired thickness and fineness of the ice, which can be useful when garnishing cold plates or making different forms of ice that are needed in cafes, bars, and restaurants.
Manual ice crushers come at a low cost and make the best alternative to shaved ice machines.
Manual ice crushers are compact, lightweight, and portable, which makes them suitable for camping and other outdoor activities.
Crushed Ice vs Ice Cubes
The differences between crushed and cubed ice is that crushed ice melts faster than cubed ice, is loved by ice eaters, and is used to cut through overly sweet drinks.
1. Crushed Ice Melts At a Speed Rate.
Crushed ice melts faster than ice cubes and dilutes drink faster, which is why it is most used for drinks consumed within 5 to 10 minutes. Ice cubes melt slower and at a constant speed, making a drink cooler for longer and dissolving it slowly.
2. Ice Eaters Love Crushed Ice.
Crushed ice is satisfying to chew while manual ice makers allow crushing the ice to a manageable size so it doesn’t hurt teeth.
3. Crushed Ice Cuts Through Overly-Sweet Drinks.
Crushed ice, unlike ice cubes, balances out the excessive sugar content in cocktails or Coca-Cola and makes drinks more potable.
Types Of Ice Crushers
The main types of ice crushers are hand-crank ice crushers, handheld mallet and bag ice crusher kits, blenders, and ice crushing machines.
1. Hand-Crank Ice Crusher
Hand-crank ice crushers aren’t powered by electricity and are suitable for daily use. Hand-crank ice crushers can meet low to medium needs for ice and are easy to use but don’t provide any storage capacity.
2. Handheld Mallet and a Bag Ice Crusher Kit
Handheld ice crushers are made of wood, which makes them durable, although their sturdiness makes them unsuitable for crushing large amounts of ice.
Some specialty blenders come with the ice crushing feature and can be used for occasional ice crushing since they are sturdy enough.
4. Ice Crushing Machines
Ice crushing machines are meant for commercial use since they can produce several pounds of crushed ice per hour and have storage capacities. Ice crushing machines need electricity to operate and aren’t portable like manual ice crushers.
Manual Ice Crusher Buying Guide
When buying manual ice crushers, the main factors to consider are the type, construction, blades, switch, and warranty, all of which are listed below.
Two main types of manual ice crushers are hand crank and mallet kits. Hand-crank manual ice crushers are more suitable for producing larger amounts of crushed ice than mallet kits that are more suitable for small households and medium need for ice.
The material manual ice crusher is made of determines its durability. Stainless steel manual ice crushers are long-lasting and rust-resistant as well as ice bags and mallets, typically made of beechwood, kits. Some hand-held manual ice crushers are made of plastic and are less durable.
Some manual ice crushers, except wooden kits and classic manual crushers, are equipped with sharp, stainless steel blades that ensure high efficiency and precision. Stainless steel blades are resistant to wear and rust and can be easily taken off, removed, and reattached.
Some manual ice crushers have on/off switches that ensure safety when taking the ice out. The on/off switch should be pressed before taking the ice out to prevent the sharp blades from causing injuries.
Most manual ice crushers come with short warranties while some models are covered by 5-year or lifetime warranties.
- A manual ice crusher should never be used before reading the owner’s manual beforehand.
- A manual ice crusher should be switched off before the ice is taken out.
- Crushed ice can be sharp and should never be touched with bare hands but taken out using a glass or a handy scoop.
FAQ About Manual Ice Crushers
1. Can I Use My Manual Ice Crusher To Make Snow Cones?
Yes, manual ice crushers can be used for making snow cones if the ice is well crushed so it is easy to shape.
2. Can I Put Flavored Ice Cubes In My Manual Ice Crusher?
Yes, flavored ice cubes can be put in any manual ice crusher since this type of unit works with any type of ice, including flavored ice.
3. How To Clean My Manual Ice Crusher?
Some manual ice crushers can be washed in the sink using water and dishwashing soap while some manual ice crushers are dishwasher-safe.
4. Can You Make Crushed Ice In a Blender?
Yes, sturdy and well-built blenders can be used for crushing ice cubes. The blender should be filled with ice cubes, the lid should be put on, and the ice cubes should be crushed by pressing the on power button in short bursts. To make fine-crushed ice using a blender, the power button should be pressed and held for several minutes. Food processors can be used instead of manual ice crushers or blenders for crushing ice.